John E. Kelsey earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in economics from the University of North Texas in 1992 and Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan School of Law in 1994. After obtaining his law license from the Supreme Court of the State of Texas in May of 1995, John practiced law with his father, Richard H. Kelsey; the two still practice together along with their partner, Scott W. Hickey, in the firm Kelsey, Kelsey & Hickey, PLLC, in Denton, Texas. John is licensed to practice law in all Texas state courts and in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas. In addition to his regular office and litigation practice, John often serves as mediator through court ordered mediation and by agreements of the parties to the dispute.
John has been a speaker/presenter at probate and guardianship seminars, and he has taught a probate court at Texas Women's University in Denton. He served as subsection chair (Real Estate Subsection) and then as chairman of the Real Estate, Probate & Trust section of the Denton County Bar Association.
John has served on many local boards and committees. He is married to Lisa, and together they have two children and one grandson.
Areas of Practice
- Elder Law and Guardianship 20%
- Estate Planning and Probate 20%
- Real Estate - transactions and litigation, landlord/tenant, construction law 30%
- Business - entity formation, transactions, litigation and employment law 30%
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified by the State Bar of Texas to serve in Texas courts as both an attorney for an applicant for guardianship and also as a court appointed attorney in a guardianship proceeding, including attorney ad litem
- Texas, 1995
- Texas Wesleyan University School of Law, Irving, Texas
- University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
- Texas Woman's University, Lecturer
- Probate Law Course, Texas Women's University, 1999
- Probate/Guardianship Courses, Denton County Bar Association
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas, Member, 1995 to Present
- Denton County Bar Association, Member, 1995 to Present
- Real Estate, Probate, Trust Law Section , DCBA, Member, 1995 to Present